Sunday, June 5, 2011

Giving thanks

In all the hustle and bustle everyday life, sometimes we forget to step back, take a breath and be grateful to all those that help us to succeed.

I just came back this morning (arrived home at 2 am, in fact!!) from an extremely successful show in Maryland.  I am euphoric, because shows haven't been all that great in this economy and in driving home through sheets of rain and lightning I had time to think about all the people behind the scenes that helped make this a successful show....people I may not always let know that I really appreciate their efforts, advise, labor and friendship.....all the people that make it possible for me to do my art and to get it to the customers.  So here goes:

First and foremost, my daughter, Leigh Ann, who may not always agree with me, but who never stops believing in the success of MudWorks, and works endlessly to put our name out there, our work on customers' shelves, and to be sure we eventually get paid for it!

Then my son, John, who showed up one day at the studio and "volunteered" to help while he was bored and between jobs and now has not left.....all the glazes, the lugging of chemicals, the pugging, all help to get my pots done and out the door and leaves me free to concentrate on the actual creating----though now he is making all the tiles and trying his hand, quite well, in fact, on the wheel, too.

Then there are the "minions"...LOL... Christa, (fondly and affectionately dubbed the Head Minion) who hand-paints the details on the mugs endlessly and without complaint (mostly!) --- Mary Jane, who came to take classes and never left, thank goodness, who does wonderful things with slabs of clay and puts in hours making my ideas look good on slab!  Ken, who's talents are endless....wood worker, tile maker, teacher and friend....Christina, the retail goddess and studio quark---fitting in where ever there is need, packing for stores, packing for shows, setting up the gallery after painting it, even making teabag holders!...Billy, back at MudWorks, all the way from NJ to throw and help with production. All these people put the "starch" into MudWorks without which we could not stand....The newbies:  Evelyn and Erin who will be interning this summer in exchange for a chance to be at MudWorks and to help keep the creative juices flowing here.

All my friends: Margaret, a professor in her own right, helping at shows, being a friend; Ursula (alias Red!) sharing her Mom, being a sounding board and creative influence; Shelley, volunteering to do whatever needs be done whenever she has spare time; the list goes on and on.

Last, and probably should have been first, is my husband Steve, who despite all the ups and downs and his negativity, has given over his retirement money to buy the building that MudWorks HQ is now occupying.....

So in reality, while MudWorks may have been my baby to begin with, I am not solely responsible for it's continued success.

I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart....
Now, get back to work you guys!  We have a wholesale show next week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment