Saturday, February 19, 2011

Never Say "Never"

Okay, okay....I said I'd never start a blog, and of course here I am getting ready to post my thoughts, ideas and opinions for the world to see on a blog!  I guess I could make an entire list of things here I said I'd never do, and ended up doing at some point in time and that's the beauty of being able to change my mind, and still be okay with it.

I am hoping that this will be therapeutic for me as well as entertaining for any that may perchance read it.  In fact, it may inspire you to do one of your "never" things, too!

In addition to posting a blog for the first time, I am following a post of my daughter's; a challenge to get rid of 1,000 things. At first, I thought, simple! I can do this!  Just go to my desk area and there must be at least 100 old, rusty paper clips and some not-so-stretchy rubber bands and the first few hundred things will be a breeze......then I thought about it and figured that's not exactly what the excercise was about....panic started to overtake me, so I took a few deep breaths and decided to start with somewhere simple but a little more challenging than paperclips and rubberbands.

Books, I have tons of books. There must be a book or six I can live without, right?  I went to my book case in the TV room (I have bookcases, shelves and boxes of books in all the rooms, even the kitchen).  My first two to hit the Amazon resale site are two old craft books...one about sculpting foam and the other about stencilling....neither craft was ever attempted by me and God knows why I've held onto these for so long.  Into the computer room, list them on Amazon and hope for a buyer.  Next was the nightstand in my bedroom with a stack of books that I had acquired from who knows where.  Three hard-back novels ready to be donated to the library!  Wow, I'm up to five items and I haven't even broken a sweat yet.....Next, the kitchen...cookbooks are going to be harder.  I don't necessarily like or want to cook on a regular basis, but I love to read cookbooks.  But to my delight, I found two (of the forty) that I can bear to part with:  Holidays: Menus and Music (never even opened the CD) and The Weekend Cook.....maybe someone on Amazon wants those, too!

Okay...that's seven things going out the door....enough for one day.  This may take a year or two, but I am determined....the real trick will be not to bring in a 1,000 NEW things while I am in the process....but I did get a nice ceramic magazine today....(sigh)  

No comments:

Post a Comment